To the Duke Neighborhood,
I’m writing as we speak with an replace on the Duke Local weather Dedication, the university-wide initiative launched final September to harness Duke’s extraordinary strengths and assets towards the objective of addressing local weather change.
Duke is in a singular place to ship options that may place society on a path to a extra resilient, sustainable, equitable, and wholesome future, and the Local weather Dedication provides us a brand new mannequin for collaborative motion. As highlighted as we speak in tales from throughout the college, we search to unify our efforts and amplify interdisciplinary local weather and sustainability work, providing each member of the Duke neighborhood a chance to interact in these efforts. I’m very grateful to Stanback Dean of the Nicholas College of the Setting Toddi Steelman, Interim Director of the Nicholas Institute for Power, Setting and Sustainability Brian Murray, and Government Director of Local weather and Sustainability Tavey Capps for his or her management.
As we speak, I’m happy to announce particular, measurable commitments on local weather, embedded into the 5 areas of Duke’s strategic framework: empowering the boldest thinkers, remodeling instructing and studying, renewing our campus neighborhood, forging purposeful partnerships in Durham and the area, and partaking our extraordinary world community.
as we empower the boldest thinkerswe dedicated to
as we remodel instructing and studyingwe dedicated to
- construct on the success of UNIV102 and associate with colleges throughout the college to infuse local weather and sustainability into instructional applications, making ready Duke college students to steer within the twenty first century;
- launch a instructing fellows program to assist instructors in incorporating local weather and sustainability of their programs;
- provide workshops to college students, college, and workers to deepen their data and company on points associated to local weather and sustainability;
- discover useful resource wants for profession providers to raised put together college students for getting into the workforce with the objective of contributing to local weather change options;
- broaden the Campus as Lab program to make use of Duke’s campus as a dwelling laboratory.
as we renew our campus neighborhoodwe dedicated to
- proceed progress in the direction of Duke’s objectives for carbon neutrality, outlined within the 2019 Local weather Motion Plan Replace.
- construct on the 43% greenhouse gasoline emissions reductions to this point as we navigate challenges from the pandemic, with a concentrate on campus vitality effectivity, off-campus photo voltaic, renewable pure gasoline, and alternatives to retain the numerous emission reductions realized in worker commuting and air journey over the previous two years;
- proceed to work with a workers, college and pupil advisory committee to judge potential carbon offsets initiatives that meet our excessive requirements;
- search new alternatives to instantly have interaction workers in Duke’s sustainability efforts, together with by way of workshops, office certifications, and academic assets;
- develop a Duke Sustainable Fleet and Electrical Car (EV) Charging Plan to scale back the impression of campus autos and broaden EV infrastructure;
- proceed working with DUMAC to assist endowment investments in sustainability, in accordance with the Guideline on Funding Duty adopted by the Board of Trustees;
- broaden efforts to infuse sustainability additional into Duke’s provide chain by way of campus insurance policies and contract language;
- discover alternatives to assist and improve sustainability efforts within the Duke Well being system.
as we associate with objective in Durham and the area, we decide to
- strengthen our relationship with the Metropolis of Durham and promote regional sustainability by way of the Strategic Neighborhood Influence Plan developed by the Workplace of Durham and Neighborhood Affairs;
- have interaction native, state, and federal policymakers concerning equitable local weather and sustainability options;
- deepen our involvement with inexperienced entrepreneurs, traders, and business leaders within the Analysis Triangle and past.
as we have interaction our world community of alumni, we decide to
- convene local weather leaders on campus to share their work and interact with the Duke neighborhood, together with these occasions in Spring 2023, amongst others:
— Sustainable Enterprise and Social Influence convention,
— Blue Economic system Summit, hosted by Oceans@Duke,
— Local weather Change, Decolonization, and World Blackness sequence on the John Hope Franklin Humanities Institute, and
— Histories and Society within the Hydrosphere convention, hosted by the Middle for Worldwide and World Research;
- develop alternatives for alumni who’re invested in local weather and sustainability work to attach with our schooling, analysis and engagement efforts on campus and past;
- present local weather and sustainability literacy and fluency alternatives for alumni by way of lifelong studying and digital schooling partnerships.
Over the approaching months and years, we’ll monitor our progress on these commitments on the Local weather Dedication web site. We acknowledge that this initiative could evolve and can take time to implement, and we’ll solely succeed by way of the collective motion of our college students, college, workers, alumni, and associates.
These commitments are each aspirational and inclusive. They permit us to consider the type of college we would like Duke to be. I invite you personally to be part of this necessary effort.
The Duke Local weather Dedication marks a hopeful second—once we seize the chance to steer towards a brighter future. I hope you’ll be a part of me on this transformational endeavor.
Collectively, Duke is in it for all times.
Vincent E Worth